The Town of Monroe/Adams County was first settled by European/caucasian groups along the Wisconsin River in the 1820-1830’s when the fur trade was changing to a logging trade. The territory was home to the Ho-Chunk and Menominee Native Americans and still considered part of Michigan Territory.
In the late1850-1860’s (before and after the 1962 Homestead Act) farmers started homesteading in the Town of Monroe. See ‘Beginnings’
for more early Adams County information.